Do you pay attention to how the numerical information you enter into your spreadsheet is formatted? Formulas typically have numbers represented as text, which can lead to a variety of issues. Here are a few ways to convert text to numbers in Excel.
Depending on how your number is entered as text, one of the following methods might work better for you. For instance, if you have a lot of nonadjacent cells, altering the cell format could be difficult. If you don’t see the warning symbol, you could decide not to use that method.
Here is the method of converting text to numbers in excel.
How to change the cell format in excel:
- To quickly and simply convert text to a number, modify the cell format on the Home tab. Utilize the drop-down menu in the top-left Number box. From the drop-down option, choose “Number.”
- An alternative is to right-click the cell and choose “Format Cells” from the context menu (s). From the left menu, select “Number” from the Number tab. After making any necessary changes to the Decimal Places, click “OK”.
- You have the option to utilize the Number format in the General format. The default number format in Excel is open-ended. In contrast to other number formats, General rounds decimal numbers if the cell is too small to accommodate the entire string and employs scientific notation for values with more than 12 digits.
How to use the warning symbol:
- If you enter your data and see a warning symbol in the bottom left corner, you can quickly change the text using this method. When your cursor is above the warning, as in the screenshot below, a description will show up.
- By selecting “Convert to Number” from the drop-down arrow next to the warning, you can convert to a number.
Select text to columns in excel:
Maybe you have an entire column of numbers in text format. Utilizing the Text to Columns tool is the best choice. However, bear in mind that this choice also applies to cell ranges.
- After choosing the column and navigating to the Data tab, click “Text to Columns” in the Data Tools section of the ribbon.
- When the wizard displays, merely select “Finish.” You can also complete the process by selecting “Next” and then “Finish” without making any adjustments.
This converts the format to Excel’s default General format for numbers. You can either choose “Number” from the Number section on the Home page after selecting the cells and leaving the format alone, as indicated earlier.
Note: This above written article is an attempt to show you how to convert text to number in excel online, 2016 and 2019, in both windows and mac.
You just need to have a little understanding of how and which way things work and you are good to go. With having this basic knowledge or information of how to use it, you can also access and use different other options on excel or spreadsheet. Also, it is very similar to Word or Document. So, in a way, if you learn one thing, like Excel, you can automatically learn how to use Word as well because both of them are very similar in so many ways. If you want to know more about WPS Office, you can download WPS Office to access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint for free.