You’ll note that cells in Excel have a small amount of space for showing their contents when entering data. Data may indicate cutoff as a result of this. You may automatically resize cells to accommodate their contents, be they text or numbers.
In WPS Excel, you can surely manually change the widths of the cells in columns and rows which gives you the opportunity to expand cell to fit text in excel. But you can use one of these simple automatic methods to quickly compress or extend cells to fit the text or numbers.
Below is the method of how to expand cell to fit text in excel.
How to resize cells using AutoFit in excel online, 2016 and 2019:
Cells in both columns and rows can be formatted using WPS Excel’s AutoFit feature. We’ll use an illustration to demonstrate how this works.
Here, you can see that both our column headers and dollar numbers are compressed and illegible due to our data. We will therefore widen the cells in these columns.
- Choose the columns that you want to enlarge. You can choose each one by holding down Ctrl while dragging your cursor over them. then navigate to the Ribbon’s Cells section and Home tab.
- “AutoFit Column Width” can be selected by clicking the Format drop-down arrow.
- And we’re off! As you can see, those columns were just widened enough to show the headers and currencies’ contents clearly.
Cell sizes can be reduced using the AutoFit feature in the same way. Like in our example below, you can have a column of single characters. By shrinking the cells to fit the text, we can save up some space in our spreadsheet.
- Choose “AutoFit Column Width” from the Format drop-down menu on the Home tab after selecting the column(s).
- You can notice that our column’s width was reduced this time to accommodate the information.
- Cells in rows can be similarly shrunk or expanded using the AutoFit feature. Simply choose “AutoFit Row Height” from the Format drop-down menu after selecting your row or rows.
How to resize cell using your cursor in excel:
- Choose the column(s) or row(s) you want to enlarge or reduce in size to better fit the contents. Set your cursor at the bottom of a row or on the right side of a column. Double-click when you see the display of double-sided arrows.
- You’ll observe that your column(s) or row(s) adjust to match the contents, much like with the AutoFit feature. The size of the text or numbers determines whether the cells will contract or expand.
- This approach works just as well if you wish to resize the cells across the entire sheet. By clicking the triangle between column A and row 1 on the top left of the sheet, you can choose it. When you see the double-sided arrows between the columns and rows, click twice.
In many circumstances, manually enlarging Excel cells to accommodate your contents is beneficial. Try one of these automated re-sizing options instead to quickly and easily see the data that was omitted.
Note: This above written article is an attempt to show you how to expand cell to fit text in excel online, 2016 and 2019, in both windows and mac.
You just need to have a little understanding of how and which way things work and you are good to go. With having this basic knowledge or information of how to use it, you can also access and use different other options on excel or spreadsheet. Also, it is very similar to Word or Document. So, in a way, if you learn one thing, like Excel, you can automatically learn how to use Word as well because both of them are very similar in so many ways. If you want to know more about WPS Office, you can download WPS Office to access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint for free.