Do you want to only count the number of cells that contain any or a specified amount of text, ignoring all other cells in the process? If so, WPS Excel has a specific feature to help you do that. We’ll demonstrate how to count cells with text in excel.
To count cells that contain either certain text or any text, use Excel’s COUNTIF function. Use the strategy that applies to your specific situation from the list below.
How to count cells with text in excel online, 2016 and 2019:
Count the number of cells that contain text using this method, ignoring any numbers, blank cells, or errors.
- First, open your spreadsheet in WPS Excel. Select the cell in the spreadsheet where you want the result to appear.
In the cell that has been selected, enter the COUNTIF function as displayed below. Make sure that D2 and D6 are replaced in this function with the range containing the cells that need to be counted.
- Using the * (asterisk) option, the function is told to only count cells that contain text in this case.
You can also count the cells that don’t merely have text in them. To accomplish this, use the COUNTIF function modified as follows. The argument goes that only cells that are not text should be tallied in this function.
- A cell with text and numbers mixed in won’t be counted. =COUNTIF(D2:D6,”>*”)
- The COUNTIF function will yield the results shown below when used to count the number of cells that contain any text.
How to count cells with specific text in excel:
To restrict Excel’s counting to cells with a specific amount of text, use an argument with the COUNTIF function.
- In your spreadsheet, choose the cell where you want to display the result first.
In the cell that has been selected, enter the COUNTIF function as displayed below. In the function, swap out D2 and D6 with the range containing your cells. Additionally, replace a with any character or word that is required for your cell to be counted.
- The function that follows counts all cells that contain the character “a.” This means that in our example, Mahesh and David will both be counted as they both start with the letter a.
- The result is below.
- To make the function count the cells that just contain your chosen character or word, remove the * (asterisk) symbol from before and after your character or word, as shown below.
- Since our sample contains no cells that only contain the letter “a,” the count result is zero.
Note: This above written article is an attempt to show you how to count cells with text in excel online, 2016 and 2019, in both windows and mac.
You just need to have a little understanding of how and which way things work and you are good to go. With having this basic knowledge or information of how to use it, you can also access and use different other options on excel or spreadsheet. Also, it is very similar to Word or Document. So, in a way, if you learn one thing, like Excel, you can automatically learn how to use Word as well because both of them are very similar in so many ways. If you want to know more about WPS Office, you can download WPS Office to access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint for free.