Do you know that you can automatically number pages in your Word document? There are a variety of page numbering formats you can use. You can number a page in word at the top, bottom or side margin of the word document. In simpler terms, terms word features three locations known as a header, footer and side margin, which you can use to add page numbers. And if you feel like you want to number some of your pages differently, you can also restart the numbering sequence. What’s more, you can add a page number without affecting your running head or footnotes. All you need to do is learn all methods of how to number a page in word.
Of course, you can also number a page in word manually. But why do that when word has functions that automatically number pages on your behalf? And if you have several sections or chapters in your word document, you can number the pages separately. You can have all the sections beginning their page numbers from one. But this requires you to also understand how to use page breaks to number pages differently in your word document. So, this guide covers all the methods of numbering pages in word.
How to number a page in word using page breaks
This method allows you to exclude some parts of your document when numbering your pages. When you are writing papers like a dissertation that have several sections, you’ll need to use page breaks to differentiate page numbers.
- Go to the Layout tab and click breaks on the page setup section.
- Select next page under section breaks on the drop-down menu.
- Place your cursor on top of the page you want to start numbering. Open the footer or header. There is a text that indicates same as previous.
- Go to the header and footer tab and click link to previous. The same as previous text will disappear. You will be able to number your pages differently.
How to number a page in word side margins
Go to the footer section of your page and double-click to open. Once the sections are open:
- Go to the header and footer section and activate different odd and even pages.
- Go to page number and choose the bottom of the page, and select plain number 3.
- Once you have chosen, go to the page number and highlight it. Then go to the view tab to show the ruler.
- Move the ruler to the side margins. Your page number will be moved.
How to number a page in word header or footer
Numbering your pages using a header or footer is the most popular method. All you need to do is go to the header and footer section on the insert tab and click page number. On the drop-down menu, select your preferred location which can be top or bottom of the page. Choosing top will number your pages on the headers whereas choosing bottom will number your pages on the footers.
Many people are not aware of the option of numbering word pages on the side margins. This article guides you on how to number a page in word on headers, footers, or side margins. View WPS Academy for more article guides like this.
Download WPS Office and get to learn more typing skills. The app avails free editing services in excel, word, pdf, and PowerPoint.